Sunday, February 3, 2013

Meet the Brothers - Brian

My Teams:
MLB- Baltimore Orioles
NFL- Dallas Cowboys (go ahead, make your jokes...I'll probably agree)
NHL- Vancouver Canucks
EPL-  Tottenham Hotspur
NBA- Golden State Warriors

My allegiances to sports teams can each be traced back to one player: Cal Ripken Jr., Troy Aikman, Roberto Luongo, Gareth Bale, and Monta Ellis (no way on God's green earth was I switching to the Milwaukee Bucks after he got traded). I have built my whole sports world around "man crushes". Let me clarify, I do not, I repeat DO NOT, mean to say I trick these athletes into falling in love with me online using pictures of my cousin and a fake female voice. Honestly didn't think I would ever have to say that, but Te'o episode has me a little rattled. Anyway, these players are essentially my roles models in their respective sports and once I pick a team, I stay with a team. Over the last decade, this rule has been put to the test numerous times as I watched the Orioles lose night after night (almost switched to Diamondbacks one night but thought better of it) and endured back to back to back 5-11 seasons during the Dave Campo era. However, this past year has proven that you will eventually be rewarded for staying loyal to one team. I have never had a greater fan experience watching a team make a run than seeing the Orioles make it to the ALDS.

In the last couple of years I have done internships for the FedEx St. Jude Classic and the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. These have given me a "behind the scenes" look at how major events are run real time. Also, I met and handled the luggage of names like Dustin Johnson, David Toms, and Davis Love III (just sayin'). I'm a senior at Christian Brothers University where I worked as a manger for the men's basketball team (Div II) for 3 1/2 years. I like to tell myself we made it to the Sweet 16 last year behind my expertise in doing laundry, running clock, and mopping floors.

I try to watch as much sports as possible, including mass amounts of soccer (hate people who say they are soccer fans but can only name Manchester United and Chelsea when questioned). I'm all over all leagues, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, etc. Tennis and Golf are also a regular part of my sports viewing. I'll eventually put out a list of my top "man crushes" for criticism and debate and keep you updated on my latest ESPN Streak for the Cash picks. Looking forward to sharing opinions!!!

-Brian


No comments:

Post a Comment